- Texas Education Agency (TEA) staff notifies public of review process via ListServs and presentations including deadline for applications.
- State Board of Education (SBoE) members make board workgroup nominations to include educators, parents, business and industry leaders, and employers.
- List of recommended workgroup members is sent to the SBOE. There will be representation from all board members.
- Committee members are notified of their appointment.
- SBOE members are notified of their nominations’ approval.
- The SBOE provides the charge to the board workgroup to create the proposed TEKS and to align the TEKS with the college readiness standards.
- Board workgroup members work face-to-face (which is the preferred method of meeting) or by videoconference if face-to-face is not possible. TEA staff, in consultation with the SBOE, determines number of work days needed.
- TEA staff prepares surveys that reflect board workgroup recommendations to be posted online.
- SBOE may designate up to seven expert reviewers. To be designated, each expert must receive a nomination from at least two board members and a board member may not nominate more than one expert. SBOE determines number of work days needed. The Board may not reject any expert that has been nominated by two or more board members.
- TEA staff compiles/copies survey results/comments and sends to SBOE.
- Experts review proposed TEKS.
- SBOE directs TEA staff to send comments (#10) to expert reviewers.
- Workgroups reconvene.
- SBOE discusses comments received from public stakeholders, workgroup members, and expert reviewers and directs TEA staff to make designated revisions/edits.
- Revisions/edits are made and SBOE discusses and completes first reading and filing authorization (for official public comment – Texas Register).
- Public comments summarized and provided to the SBOE prior to the second reading and adoption.
- SBOE discusses and completes second reading and adoption of the TEKS with an implementation date.
At the direction of the board, a facilitator may be hired. The process of issuing an RFQ and selecting a facilitator would take approximately 90 days to complete.
Updates are provided throughout this process to the SBOE as appropriate and/or upon request by the Chair.
Approved by the State Board of Education, July 18, 2008. (See “State board approves TEKS revision and adoption process,” Texas Education Today, July, 2008, (pdf) page 3.)